Some babies are born with special needs. That’s why the Special Care Nursery at CentraState has a dedicated staff of neonatologists and highly skilled nurses available 24/7. They provide individualized care for premature babies born after 32 weeks of pregnancy who require close observation or other special attention.
Our Special Care Nursery nurses receive focused training in neonatal intensive care. This training is required for all nursing staff in Intermediate Care neonatal nurseries, which are equipped to treat complications such as infections, breathing problems, small size and weight, low temperature or blood sugar, and other emergencies.
We can treat any mild health problems with a range of technology, including oxygen, phototherapy lighting for jaundice, incubators with minimal light and noise exposure, and warmers that regulate body temperature while allowing direct observation and easy access. Our nursery also offers a quiet, comfortable environment for you and your newborn.
Special Care Nursery Tips for Parents and Caregivers
Our staff members are dedicated to the well being of the babies entrusted to our care, and we consider parents and caregivers an important part of the health care team. Here are some tips for supporting your baby’s care in the Special Care Nursery:
- We encourage parents and caregivers to come into the nursery and participate in their baby’s care. A parent must be present for a visitor to enter.
- The safety of a newborn depends on everyone thoroughly washing their hands and wearing a gown tied snugly over their clothes. Always check with the nurse before lifting your baby.
- Those with illnesses such as diarrhea, fever, or a cold should not enter the nursery. New babies are more susceptible to infectious disease.
- Our nurses and staff physicians are here to help with any questions. We look forward to updating you on the progress of your baby at each visit.
- Your observations regarding your baby are important. If you have a concern or notice something has changed, talk to a nurse or doctor.
Request More Info
To request more information about maternity services at CentraState or to ask any questions, please complete this form and we will be in touch shortly.