Asking the right questions can help determine your comfort level with a prospective pediatrician. If you are expecting a baby, try to schedule an interview prior to giving birth, ideally two to three months before your due date. If you have recently moved to the area, it is best to find a pediatrician soon after and establish a relationship prior to any illness or emergency. Below we have provided common questions to ask the pediatrician during an interview.
- What is your background? (Where did you go to school, where did you do your residency, have you practiced anywhere else?)
- How long have you been in practice?
- Do you have a sub-specialty or area of pediatric interest?
- How long does a typical checkup last?
- If I have a minor question, what is the best time to call?
- Are you board certified through the American Academy of Pediatrics?
- What are your thoughts on child health issues such as…
- Getting babies to sleep
- Toilet learning
- Do you have children?
Pediatrician Practice Information
- Do you take my insurance? What NJ health insurance plans do you accept?
- What are the office hours? Are there weekend or evening hours?
- How will we reach you if my child is sick after hours?
- Is this a solo or group practice?
- Who covers for you on weekends, evenings and days off?
- What arrangements do you make in your office for children who are sick? Is there a separate waiting room for them?
- Do you make same day appointments?
- Which tests are handled here (throat cultures, blood tests)?
- Which tests have to be done somewhere else (X-rays)? Where are they done?
- Does the office respond to email?
- How do you handle payments, billing, lab charges and insurance claims?
The outstanding pediatricians on staff at CentraState Medical Center in Monmouth County work with newborns and children up to 18 years old. To find a pediatrician at CentraState, click below or call 866-CENTRA7.