If you choose to breastfeed, it’s very helpful to learn more about it before your baby arrives. CentraState offers a breastfeeding education class designed for you and a partner, if desired.
We also provide breastfeeding support after the birth of your baby since we understand that some moms and babies need help during the learning process of breastfeeding. The Lactation Center at CentraState offers a warm, comfortable, supportive environment to educate, counsel, and support breastfeeding mothers during their hospital stay and after returning home. Our board-certified lactation consultants will guide you on:
- Getting your newborn to latch
- Ways to hold your baby while nursing
- Cues that your baby is hungry
- Understanding different types of breast milk
- How to know if your baby is getting enough milk
- Ways to alleviate engorgement
After Your Hospital Stay
Following your hospital stay, our lactation consultants are available in person by appointment. Our lactation center is happy to meet with all mothers, regardless of where they delivered their baby.
Mothers can call our breastfeeding “warmline” at 732-303-5258 to speak with a lactation consultant and schedule an appointment to meet in a private, one-on-one setting.
We address a variety of concerns during the consultations including but not limited to:
- Assessing a mother’s milk supply and infant’s intake during feeding
- Measuring baby’s weight before and after a feeding.
- Individual instruction on latching and positioning techniques
- Low/slow weight gain concerns
- Guidance for pumping when you return to work
- Answering any questions you may have and addressing conflicting information from your OB/GYN and pediatrician
- Postpartum depression
By federal law, most insurance companies must cover a minimum of one lactation consultation, although many cover up to ten lactation consultation appointments following your hospital stay. Consultations not covered by insurance are available through a one-time payment or arranged payment plans.
One-hour consultations can be scheduled during normal weekday business hours. To get started, call the warm line at 732-303-5258 to arrange a date and time with the lactation consultant. The consultant will then email you more information to confirm your appointment with centralized scheduling at 732-294-2778, prompt #3. You should have your insurance information ready when contacting centralized scheduling.
When coming in for your appointment, please arrive ten minutes early and come with a hungry baby.